Sunday, January 3, 2010

Spherical Panoramas

Another fall/winter project has been the construction of a panorama head that is accurate enough to allow Hugin (and other) panorama stitching programs to work.  After several “jury-rigged” creations I have finally come up with a system that has promise.  It is based on the base of an old theodolite that I picked up cheap because it had a destroyed telescope.  The small image showes the current model with my Nikon D80. 

It has been too cold to try it outside so I have as my first attempt a photo of our living room at Christmas.  This is a spherical panorama made up of 48 photos (three rows of 16 photos).  While there are some obvious seams, it actually turned out kind of neat!



If you want to see the real power of spherical panoramas, check out the program FSPViewer.  It works with both spherical and 360 degree panoramas.

No comments: