Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Itsy Bitsy Things.


Now we are talking really small!  I took this image with with my Nikon Alphaphot-2 just to see if I could.  This particular microscope had been in a lab that had experienced a fire with significant smoke damage. As a result it was covered with soot when I got it (thus I got it cheap).  I have it pretty well cleaned up, but it probably needs a lot more work.  In any case this is a strange little object (creature?) that was left over after a drop of water from the flower vase evaporated.  The image is about 400x.  I tried to calibrate it with a micrometer slide and I would guess the creature (or whatever) is about 12 microns across.  I am definitely going to have to make a good camera mount so that I can take pictures of some really small creatures!  I did, by the way, use Helicon focus (six images) to get the depth of field decent.  I also am going to have to start reading to find out what I am looking at!  The next thing I have to do is construct a better mount for the microscope to hold my D80.

No comments: