Sunday, March 15, 2015

Where did the birds go?

March 14, 1015

I started to put this in my http://xraycrystallographer.blogspot.com/
blog and realized that it has nothing to do with gardening, so I decided that it fit here!  I have been quite remiss in non-garden posts, so this is hopefully a new start.  

After seeing (and hearing) hundreds of Sandhill Cranes fly over the house earlier in the week we decided to take a quick trip to Goose Pond to see if we could see them or the pelicans.  What I didn't check on was how much rain we had on Thursday/Friday (actually we only had 1.5", but I found out later that Linton had over 3").  When we got there the only roads that were passable were the state highway and one county road that went away from the marsh!  After slip-sliding on the gravel (mostly mud) roads, we decided it was not worth getting stuck and headed back for Bloomington.





There are actually a few birds in the photo above, but the only large groups we saw were Coots. It was a pleasant drive in any case!

No comments: